Saturday, November 24, 2012

Progress on baby album - Project LIfe style

I have been collecting Project Life materials for quite some time.  My intention of course, is to get my photos off my computer/phone and in to albums.  I have tried all forms of scrapbooking - traditional, digital, hybrid.  I like them all, but I needed something quick and simple.  Along comes Project Life from Becky Higgins and I was intrigued by the simplicity of it.  It took me a long time to finally sit down and figure out exactly how I wanted to use the supplies.

Here is my current approach, and of course, may change over time.  I am currently working on a Baby album for my daughter (who is now six).  I started by going through all my photos on my computer.  I use iPhoto, so it is easy for me to find things, because back when I used my Canon DSLR, I categorized by events.  I can also create new folders within iPhoto itself and this is where I started.  I made a folder titled "Kylie - birth to one year", and so on, creating a folder for each year.  From within that folder, I attempted to group photos by event....for example, all my belly pics and the pregnancy test, etc. went in to one "group".  Baby shower photos went in to one group, birth pictures in another, and so on.   I used those groupings to figure out my page layouts using the project life page protectors.

I also downloaded the digital version of the Clementine kit.  I printed out some of the journal/filler cards to fill in the "empty" spaces.  When it came to journaling.....I am not a fan of my own just looks messy, so I use Ali Edwards handwriting font.  Since, I have the digital version of all the journaling cards, I just figure out which one I am going to use, and use PSE to journal on my computer.  Then I just print it out and cut it to fit the insert.

Here are some pics of what I have so far:

The first thing I have in the book are the cards from the shower, and cards people sent from when she was born.  I am really glad I kept them, because I wrote what people gave in the cards.  I may end up moving it to the back of the book when done, but for know, it is going to stay in the front.

I thought this would be a great way to start her album off with pictures of the pregnancy test, the ultrasounds and a few belly shots.  The journaling on the card in the lower right explains that we found out we were pregnant about a month after my hubby had returned from deployment, :)

I was lucky enough to have two baby showers.  We were still living in San Diego when we found out I was pregnant.  We were scheduled to leave for Quantico in August, so my Mother-in-Law threw a shower for me us in July.  My mom threw one for us in October.  I have pics from the California shower on the left and pics from the Pennsylvania shower on the right.  I used half of page protector in between.  

This is the other side of the baby shower spread.  

I needed something to fill up the back side of this page, so I blew up Kylie's hospital photo.  I don't have a 12x12 printer, but I used PSE to create the 12x12 document.  I took each piece and separated it out between two 8.5 x 11 pages, then printed, cut and slid them in.  I added her birth information in the upper right corner.

The next insert is an 8.5 x 11 containing her birth story.  I posted this before, and got the idea for this from Ali Edwards.  You can pull it out, and open it up to read the birth story.  I currently have it sealed at the top with Washi Tape, but I am thinking of using velcro instead.  

I still have her beanie she got in the hospital, since she was born a few weeks before Christmas.  I haven't adhered it in place yet, velcro might work for that also.  I included the original photo from the hospital as well on this page also.  I may add a journaling card on the page, giving a little more information about the beanie.

This was the birth announcement we sent out and I wanted to include it.  I took an 8.5 x 11 insert and just sewed close to the edges of the announcement to make a custom fit.

I have some of her birth/hospital pictures here.  I cut an insert that normally holds six pictures in half, and then I have the normal size layout behind it.  

This is what the page looks like after the "half" page is flipped over.

The next page I have a few pics from our first days at home, and her first bath in a "tub"

I like how this page turned out.  Kylie with some of her close relatives.  This is as far as I have gotten.  I  am not quite sure how the rest of the album will turn out, but if I keep it simple and not put too much thought in to it, I should have her first year completed in no time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment